Tuesday, 28 November 2017

My first Primaris

A couple of months ago, me, Rebecca and Erik/Nordic had a Primaris-off! We decided to use a Primaris Marine from the Dark Imperium box and convert it to our own style. But all of us had to convert and paint miniatures for Tor Megiddo, so the others aren't finished yet. I'll make a post with all the Primaris miniatures when the others are finished. 

I wanted my Primaris to still look like a Space Marine, so I didn't convert it much. I just sculpted a few creepy faces on the armour, and gave it a new sword and helmet. 

I painted this guy really quickly, but I think it turned out good. The armour was painted by drybrushing several metallic paints over it, and glazing/shading/blending the colours together with sepia and orange shades. 

I primed the miniatures before the crackle-paint on the base had dried, so the base lost a lot of texture.  I tried fixing this by painting texture on the base, which actually turned out great!

Friday, 10 November 2017

Armies on Parade 2017: AoS Tzeentch

This year I entered Armies on Parade AoS with my Tzeentch warband. The miniatures are mostly the ones I painted from the Silver Tower boz last year. The only new miniature I painted was a Lord of Change. I really like making terrain, and I'm extremely happy with this display-board.

It's nearly impossible to photograph a display board, but I did my best. This one will probably work best as a backdrop for future miniatures when I take it back home. 

Making the board

I used a silicone mould with two different sized faces to make the daemonic faces. 

The base is a 50 x 50 cm MDF board. I used polystyrene and expanding foam to make the mountain. 

The texture was a mix of wood glue, short pieces of yarn and black paint. I pushed the faces into the wet texture mix.

Dinosaurs and more texture.

More texture and faces.

I primed the board Chaos Black.

I sprayed brown followed by Mephiston Red over the faces, trying to leave the darker colours in the shadows.

I used cheap thick acrylic paints on the ground and between the faces. I tried the best I could to match GWs Death World Forrest which I've used on the miniatures bases.

I shaded the faces with sepia shade, and highlighted them with a light drybrush of Mephiston Red. The eyes where painted black, with white rings in the sentre.