Monday, 29 August 2016

Armies on Parade 2016 part I: The King

The Nestorian Infestation project that I've been working on with Bigbossredskullz for a while now was supposed to have it's first game soon. But life things came up, and we decided to wait a while before we have the game. This is actually a good thing, because I have a lot of work left on the gaming-board. It also gives us both time to finish a Genestealer Cult and a Deathwatch Killteam each, like we originally planned. 

In the last couple of weeks, I've been very inspired by the fantastic Outgard project by some of the hobbyists at Ammobunker's INQ28 forum. If you haven't checked this out, you definitely should (LINK). This project is basically set in medieval times in 40k. 

This first character will be the leader of a small band of medieval looking 40k humans. They will be the spotlight of this years Armies on Parade. My plan is to make a display board for my various Daemons I've painted over the years, and have these guys in the middle, trying to fight them off. 

The King is one of the most complex kit-bashes/conversions I've ever done. He is based on the lower body of a Tech-Priest Dominus, with a torso from Mechanicus Ruststalkers and long feminine legs from the Harlequin kit. His head is from a Grey Knight Terminator, with the crown of the Wight King. His arms, cane and weapon are also from the Tech-Priest Dominus. I've also added several other details from various 40k and fantasy kits. Fur, loincloth, cape and the elongation of his legs have been done with green-stuff. Electrical cables and guitar strings have also been added. 

Friday, 26 August 2016

Nestorian's Henchmen: Cultist & Spore mines

I've painted another one of the members of Nestorians retinue. This one is pretty basic, but still a pretty effective conversion. I gave it a new head from the FW Emperor's Children Kakophoni kit. The weapon have also been switched out for a gun from the Mechanicus range. The backpack is from the FW Renegade Militia kit. 

I've also painted up some Spore Mines to join the warband. These models are straight out of the box. I have three more still on the sprue. These will be getting some cables and mechanical bits to give the spore mines some variation.

Lastly I have a group picture of every finished model for the Nestorian Infestation project so far.

Sunday, 21 August 2016

World Eaters Legion Praetor

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures of the limited edition Legion Praetor for my World Eaters. I finished painting the model right after, but forgot to post the finished model here until now.

The conversion was quite simple. I swapped the original head, which I think looks really silly, with the scarred Empire Flagellant head. I also replaced the sword blade with a FW World Eaters Meteor Hammer from the Rampager kit.

to make this model stand out from the rest of the army, I painted it in a new colour scheme. I chose the colours from one of the newer FW books. in this book some World Eaters, like Red Butchers and veterans, have painted their armour red. This is a step closer to what they will look like in 40k, which I find fitting to my army, since I sometimes use them with the Khorne Daemonkin: codex.

Yesterday when I took these pictures I also tried to make some short videos of this model, and many others in a 360 degree view! It turned out pretty good, but I haven't found an easy way to get them on my blog. They are however on my Instagram! Follow this link to see some cool 360 degree videos of my miniatrues!

This is the picture I found on Google from one of the Forge World Books. I think I will paint more World Eaters in this colour. It really gives the army some much needed variation, and it was a fun colour scheme to paint.  

Tuesday, 9 August 2016

WIP: The Terrain for Nestorian Infestation

The first game of the Nestorian Infestation draws closer. I still have to finish the gaming board, and a couple of models. 

I've shared a few pictures and sneak peeks of the board in earlier posts and on Instagram, but now I've collected all of the pictures to show you how far I've come. 

The board consists of nine 31x31cm tiles (four tiles are the same size as one classic GW "realms of battle" tile).

The first game of the Nestorian Infestation is set on a mining world. Most of the time, the story will happen underground, due to the toxic atmosphere and lethal sunstormes on the surface. 

I have based the board on the design of Forge World's Zone Mortalis. The tiles have classic shapes from the walls on the Zone Mortalis board. When they are put together they can form a lot of different looking tunnels and corridors.

Some of the walls are made using the inside of the new GW containers. 

I did a couple of test fittings while building the tiles. This way they make the longest possible corridors with container walls on both sides. 

One of the last two tiles will have this creepy construction in the center. 

Hopefully I'll be able to start the painting process in a couple of days.