Friday, 21 October 2016


In the last post I showed you my Armies on Parade display. This time I'm going to show you some better pictures of the mutants I displayed there. I've been converting and painting mutants like this for  over a year. Some of the models you'll see here have been shared on this blog before, but they have been rebased to fit the display board. 

All of the mutants with the Mutant Herder in the middle. 

I converted and painted ten new decease infected Mutants a couple of days before the competition. 

My favourites from the new batch. 

Some classic Mutants. Note the little mouths randomly placed on these ones. 

The Mutants last year with repainted bases. 

My favourites from the old batch. 

The Mutant Herder with a new base. You have seen this one before, but it's one of my favourite models, so you'll see it again. 

I also rebased my Slaaneshi Queen and her Brutes. 

Lastly I have the Mutants I made as a replacement for the Schuttlings in Silver Tower. These guys have been cast from the kingdom, and are forced to live underground. They are still more human than the mutants above, but they are slowly headed in the same direction. 

Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Armies on Parade 2016 part V: Parade Day

I finished the Armies on Parade project just in time. I painted up a lot of models for this project that I haven't shared on this blog yet. I have pictures from my light-box of all of them, but haven't had the time to go through them yet. I'll spread them out in a couple of posts during this week. 

The competition went well, and I got 2nd place! 
Here are the pictures of my finished display from saturday.

Thursday, 13 October 2016

Armies on Parade 2016 part IV: two days to go!

It's only two days left before the Armies on Parade competition. I'm hard at work painting the last couple of miniatures and finishing the display. Here are some pictures of the various Daemons and Mutants with the display in the background. 

Monday, 3 October 2016

Mechanical Spider Daemons

I've made some friends for the Daemon from my pale skin tutorial a few weeks back (Link). These are painted in the same way, but I used different glazes on some of them to give the group a little variation. I used less purple on the new ones, and even painted two of them with blue shades instead of the purple skin mix. 

All modela are based on Plaguebearers with Ur-Ghul heads. I did a better job greenstuffing over the wounds on their bodies to make them look less in your face Nurgle. 

Sunday, 2 October 2016

Outgard: First finished model

I've just finished painting my first model for the Outgard project. I really like the way it turned out. His long female legs, combined from Skitarii and Eldar legs, really fits the theme I started with the King.

I also have a new picture of the whole warband together.

Thursday, 29 September 2016

Armies on Parade 2016 part III: Underground

Last time I wrote a post about my Armies on Parade project, I showed you the Bosh inspired Gate to the underworld. This time I'm going to show you what's underneath it.

I've entered Armies on Parade the last two years. And my model collection have grown rapidly during this time. I really like making terrain, but I don't really have room for another huge display on my table or in my glass cabinet. To fix this problem, I've decided to make this years display on a vertical base. When I'm done, I'll be able to hang the display board on my wall, like a painting or picture.

The display is based on a round pice of wood. I added the head on the top level and made a creepy forrest from twigs . 

I glued a pieces of cardboard on top of each other to make a base for the texture. This was followed by thick paint.

The next layer was created by using the insides of GW containers. 

The empty space between the layers was covered in spray foam. 

I usually think black and white pictures work better on WIP pictures, but sometimes its easier to see the materials used in coloured ones. 
I used spray foam on the other layer as well. This gave the cave a really nice base shape.

While cutting the foam into shape, I used models for scale to make sure the display had an appropriate size. 

The backside of the display.

When entering the Armies on Parade competition, you need to display it on a horizontal base. My display is vertica. To be able to bring my display to the competition, I made a stand for it.  

 At the moment I'm adding sand, grass and texture paint to the display to give it a more interesting texture. I still have a lot of texturing left to do, and add a couple of details.
Hopefully the display will be ready for paint in a couple of days.