Saturday, 24 June 2017

Tutorial: Poxwalkers Batch Painting, part I

Dark Imperium has motivated me to start a new Nurgle army. It's been a while since I've painted anything for an army. Recently I've been working a lot on miniatures for painting competitions and small warbands. Now its time to paint something quick, dirty and relaxing. 

After a few small modifications the Poxwalkers turned out really nice. I did easy conversions on all 20 models. 





The conversions I did were pretty simple. I removed the huge horns and tentacles and swapped their limbs around to make every model individual. I filled all gaps and details I didn't like (for exsample the one with the huge tentacled belly wound) with cheap superglue and sealed it with superglue accelerator. I used superglue and baking powder to give the skin a more interesting texture around the parts where I had removed the horns and tentacles. 



Painting the Poxwalkers:



I. I've never painted this many models in one batch before. To make the painting more effective I blue tacked the models to strips of cardboard, five on each strip. When painting this many miniatures it's easier to paint four units than 20 individual miniatures. 

The Poxwalkers were primed with a layer of Corax White spray. 



II. The miniatures were washed with a thin coat of Reikland Fleshshade.



II. Some of the Poxwalkers are wearing pants and jumpsuits. These were painted in a coat of Fuegan Orange. This is just the first of many layers. I painted more layers of this colour while waiting for other steps to dry. You'll get a bright colour after three to four layers. 


III. Athonian Camoshade was painted into the shadows and around the boils. 


IV. The bases were painted Dryad Bark using a large brush. I painted the same colour on some of the metal parts. I will paint the smaller metal details in the same colour later with a smaller brush. 



V. To give the skin more variations and more shadows I used Druchii Violet. This colour was also used on the remaining tentacles and where skin meets clothing. 


VI. Carroburg Crimson was used in the same way as Druchii Violet in the previous step, but this time it was concentrated a bit more on tentacles and wounds. 


VII. The bases were stippled with Death World Forest.



This is what I've done with the Poxwalkers so far. I've spent three hours painting all 20 miniatures to this stage. I'm not home at the moment, but will be back in a couple of days. I'll try to finish the models and part two of this tutorial next week.



EDIT: I'm finished with all three parts! PART II, PART III

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how removing the horns changes them so much. I think I will do this for my second batch of 20.

    I am doing 20 at once right now as well and not far removed from how you have done yours. Good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck on yours as well :)

      Delete
  3. I thought exactly the same thing, removing the stupidly large horns makes them look 100 times better. The step-by-step painting tutorial is very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for this - I will certainly also be removing all/most of the horns! Makes them go from "terrible" to awesome imo.
    Looking VERY much forward to the second installment :D !!!
    Btw, I am curious - what are your thoughts on using a zenithal highlighting scheme, when priming these? I am thinking it would also complement the washing technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      A zenithal highlight with white over black often turns out a bit grainy. I think it's too much contrast between black and white. But it might work to paint the model in a light green, purple or red, before spraying it white from above. This could give the miniature natural shadows.

      But I still don't think there's any point doing that. If you want more shadows its easier to just apply more glazes of various GW shades where you want them. This is easier to control than spraying.

      Delete
  5. They're looking great so far. Did you apply those washes straight out of the pot or where they diluted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight from the pot, but a controlled amount on the brush.

      Delete
  6. Clever the use of baking powder to sooth over the areas where you chopped away bits.
    Except for the base you only seem to use shades, the results are astonishing to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. They looks so so so much better without the horns.

    Nice colour scheme to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your modifications too, it really changes their look a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The conversion is just what I looked for. Thanks so much for posting it - I will copy that for my poxwalkers.
    Great work with a simple idea - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever the use of baking powder to sooth over the areas where you chopped away bits.
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I think I'll use that method a lot in the future.

      Delete
  11. Clever the use of baking powder to sooth over the areas where you chopped away bits.
    Gclub casino online
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete